Simply delicious vegan hot chocolate
With more and more vegan options popping up in our supermarkets and on the high street, it's never been easier to try a plant-based lifestyle. This year, Veganuary saw an astonishing 183% year-on-year increase of people taking the plant-based pledge this January. A whopping 250,000 people have signed up to this year's Veganuary, a record-breaking figure.
That's a quarter of a million people who can no longer enjoy a classic hot chocolate this winter. But not to worry! Read on for the perfect Veganuary chocolate fix. Yup. That’s right. This is a vegan hot chocolate generously topped with a silky vegan whipped cream alternative, fulfilling all of your plant-based wishes. Your tastebuds (and the planet) will definitely thank you.
We used oat milk, which has a slightly thicker, creamier texture. You may be surprised to find out that most cocoa powder is in fact completely vegan, and we were delighted when we discovered Green & Black's Organic Hot Chocolate is vegan-friendly. No hot chocolate would be complete without silky whipped cream. We used a vegan alternative (Tesco's Food Heaven Whipped Spray Cream Vegan), which is just as delicious as the real thing!
So, whether you're flirting with going plant-based, taking part in Veganuary, or perhaps already a full-time vegan, this is the perfect way to warm up on these cold winter days. As our mugs are bone china, they're unfortunately not vegan, but we'll be launching non-bone china very soon.
- 1 tbsp vegan cocoa powder (your choice)
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp milk alternative (your choice)
- Vegan whipped cream to serve
- Add the cocoa powder to the mug
- Pour in the milk and whisk together quickly with a fork to create a chocolate paste. If the paste is not thick enough add some more cocoa powder, and if too thick, add a little more milk.
- Once the paste is created, pour in the water and mix together thoroughly
- Cover the mug with a plate and heat the mixture in the microwave for 60 seconds on full power
- Carefully remove the mug and stir one more time before placing back in the microwave
- Heat for another 60 seconds on full power before removing the mug
- You should see a frothy chocolate mixture on top of mug when ready
- Skoosh some whipped cream on top and sprinkle with some more cocoa powder (optional)